2010년 9월 13일 월요일

CIP

Reflection: Critical Incident Protocol




Complete the critical incident protocol for this week’s topic/situation/incident:

“A key teaching/learning moment in my life”



• WHAT? Step back and observe [OBJECTIVE]



I teach English as a foreign language, so in my case it is a little bit more difficult, because children use English just at school or in few circumstances. Most of the times in the class they tend to use their L1.

This is one of my strategies; the communication is the most important thing. So it doesn't matter how childish the conversation is with them, or also it doesn't matter how obvious the answers are, the teacher should keep talking with them, they should go into their mind and start thinking like them during the classes. Even though they speak their L1 a lot. It can be bad but also it can be helping them in a way to think about what they should do.





• WHY? Look for background or causes [semi-OBJECTIVE]



I am aware that each of them has different level of ability in English language.

Using their L1 makes them feel way more comfortable so the lower level students tend to express their thought with their mother tongue. I accept all of the answers both in Korean and English. Sometimes I correct mistakes. Sometimes I help kid to make his or her message understandable. I accept anything they say. I think in this way I help them increase their positive self-esteem. I think “No self-esteem, no learning.”





• Meaning? Interpretation [SUBJECTIVE]





As a teacher, one of my roles would be to train and assist them the whole time the learning process by providing information and giving useful guidelines.

So my students will be able to take charge of their own learning with support from the teacher.





• Implications? for teaching [PERSONAL]



As a teacher, I should be able to attend to my students’ personal and academic needs whenever needed. I will try to create a comfortable learning environment based on respect. I will try to make my lessons more appropriate to my students so that they can communicate whatever they learn in the classroom with the ‘real’ environment. I hope my students should be able to have self-confidence, good skills and excellent knowledge.

댓글 1개:

  1. Hi Hannah, how are you? I try to do the same thing that you do and boost the students' self-esteem. I try to understand their Korean answers but of course my Korean language skills are limited. It sounds like you create a positive classroom atmosphere. I hope you have a good Chuseok. Cheers, Chad

    답글삭제